Monday, March 4, 2013

10 foods I've been cooking recently


My favourite food writing is sometimes just lists of inspirational recipe starters, just to pique interest. Cuisine magazine does that really well, if I achieve employment any time soon that's a magazine subscription I'd wanna have. So if I was to make a list of recent food I've been cooking so far in 2013 it'd look a little like this:

1) Mashed potato with butter, caramelised onions, homemade beef stock gravy (thickened with GF cornflour), and sausages

2) French onion soup with Purebread Organics buckwheat bread and delicious delicious cheese

3) Bacon and tomato soup with courgettes, canned tomatoes, fresh parsley, homemade chicken stock (from free range organic chickens cos I'm a hippy)

4) Lemon meringue pie with an oat and gluten free flour mixed base (I can eat a few oats but they don't like me heaps eh)

5) Chocolate gelato with Whittakers Dark Ghana! I used this recipe and it was AMAZING.

6) Pineapple lump icecream with Whittaker's Dark Ghana chunks, canned pineapple, and slices of pineapple lumps

7) Quinoa cooked in vegetable stock served with butter, beef and lentil chili, spinach

8) SALAD. Most of my meals in Summer are salad. I love just a traditional mesclun, red onion, tomato, fresh herb salad but sometimes I finely slice carrots, celery, capsicum, add kidney beans or chickpeas for protein, lemon juice for acidity, apples and walnuts for sweetness and crunch, grapefruit because YUM GRAPEFRUIT, blanched broccoli because it's been sitting in the fridge for a few days and I hate to waste food... you get the idea. I'm not a big salad dressing type other than balsamic and olive oil, but avocado oil (or just a jujed-up avocado) with pepper and salt works for me.

9) PHO. I could eat pho forever. I can't write a recipe better than Michelle over at Health Food Lover so I won't even try. Just make this recipe, you'll thank me. Oh, and grow yourself some Vietnamese mint on your kitchen windowsill. Michelle's going to tweet me thanks for the link love, I just know it. NO MICHELLE, thanks for the AMAZING BLOG <3

10) Frittata! I eat a lot of free range organic eggs from the happiest chickens I can afford to buy from. OK that sounds like chickens are selling me their eggs directly, weird phrasing. Chickens aren't that clever. They really, really aren't. Eggs are way more than just a breakfast food. I make crispy coin purse eggs fried in ghee or coconut oil to serve as a protein accompaniment to steamed vegetables or salad. The egg yolk even dresses the salad, it's divine. I blend a banana with eggs and almond flour to make a very quick pancake batter. (I soak buckwheat groats overnight to make a pancake batter too, using this pancake recipe. Frittata is somehow so different from omelettes even if the ingredients are the same. Kumara (sweet potato), spinach or silverbeet, caramelised onions, eggs, salt, pepper, that's my most simple frittata. Caramelised onions take a long time to cook down and caramelise without adding sugar, but it's worth it for all the flavins.

So there's a list of 10 things I've been cooking recently. I hope you enjoyed it, feel free to leave a comment because I'd love ideas on recipes you'd like from me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment