Monday, February 25, 2013

Chickpea and spinach curry

So I asked a few of my best Twitter friends (who are also my friends in real life, we're a bunch of internet geeks) which were my favourite foods they make I should blog about.

Chickpea curry is one of my favourite foods. It's hearty, healthy, makes your house smell like India... and I make it wrong. I have been to India. None of the curries I ate tasted anything like what I make. Then again, none of the curries I buy at the takeaway store down the road taste like the curries in India. The beautiful Indian men who cook them change them for our tastes. Less sulfuric black pepper, less mustard seeds, more cream and butter and richness and thickness. Anyway, I love my chickpea curry. I hope you do too.

Ingredient:

1 medium onion
2 tablespoons coconut oil or ghee

1 teaspoon garlic
2 teaspoons curry powder
2 teaspoons garam masala
1 teaspoon ground tumeric
3 teaspoons ground cumin

1 standard can diced tomatoes
1 standard can OR 300 g chickpeas
200g spinach (fresh or frozen, baby or adult)

Directions:


1. Chop the onion very finely while the oil heats in a large pan. Or make some ghee. It's really easy and so so delicious. Also very good for you!
2. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is translucent.
3 .Stir in the curry powder and garam masala, ginger and cumin. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, for one to two minutes longer.
4. Add the canned tomatoes, and chickpeas, simmer (with some fresh stock if you have some around) until the curry is almost the consistency you like.
5. Add the spinach, cook until soft.
6. Serve with quinoa, brown rice, or cauliflower rice. 

Flickr|blackbiscuits

Freeze any leftovers in meal-sized containers for a very quick and delicious work lunch (or a dinner when you run out of food in your house, although maybe you're more organised than me and that doesn't happen to you...)

Oh and if you want to be REALLY fancy a decent butter chickpeas recipe can be found HERE

 

No comments:

Post a Comment