Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Gluten free vermouth, grape and banana cake

The title of this recipe sounds quite a mouthful. I'd probably just explain it to my friends as "Vermouth grape cake". It's gooooooood, and I can't believe I've never baked grapes into a cake before. I'm gonna have another slice right now.

I'd eat this cake with friends and a cup of Lady Grey tea. I wouldn't eat my friends, that is. Well, maybe, they're pretty delicious people.

I freeze old bananas when they go brown (or black) and use them for future caek.

Ingredients

2 ripe bananas (over-ripe, if you have them)
1 egg
1/2-1 cup rapadura sugar (use less if your bananas were huge)
100g butter
1/4 cup dry vermouth (or dessert wine)
1 cup gluten free baking mix (I used Purebread's almondy rich mix, but equal parts almond/rice flour'd do)
1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
20 or so seedless grapes (I used red grapes but green would be just as delicious and pretty)

Preparation

Cream your butter and sugar (soften in your mixing bowl in a sink of warm water if your butter is straight from the fridge), add your egg and bananas. Chop that banana up with your mixing spoon real good and mixedy-like. Sift in your baking mix and baking powder.
Pour/spoon/spatula (is spatula a verb?) your batter into a lined cake tin (or if you're using a fancy silicone cake tin like I did no need to waste precious baking paper!

Bake at 150 deg C for 20-40 minutes or so until golden and cooked (depending on the size of your cake tin this could take heaps longer, test it after 20 minutes anyway then every 5 minutes after that.

Turn out upside down onto a pretty plate, garnish with flowers, eat with a fancy cake fork and a fancy cup of tea.





No comments:

Post a Comment